A few weeks ago I posted about borrowing this book from the library. I fell in love with the story of the boy looking for his perfect pet & the little duck who disguises himself as a dog so he can make a friend.
Here are some activity ideas to go with the book:
-Brainstorm with the class different pets
– Create a class graph showing the pets they have
– Create an ad for their idea of a perfect pet
– Write up a T Chart comparing a dog to a different type of pet
– Write a persuasive piece of text, stating why an unusual animal would make a good pet (eg: a crocodile)
– Draw & label an animal disguised as another animal
– If you have access to craft supplies have students create an imaginary animal that would make an ideal pet
– Play ‘Dog, dog, goose!’ (same as ‘duck, duck, goose’)
– Discuss how everyone has their own strengths & weaknesses and the importance of being true to yourself.
– Have students draw a self portrait & then list their strengths underneath. Alternatively have them pass their portraits around the room for their classmates to list what they think their strengths are (this will require guidelines set & lots of monitoring by the teacher!)
I joined the library to save money but I keep falling in love with the books & buying them!!