Still Waters – A game to quieten K-3 students quickly
*especially good to use before moving to a specialist lesson or assembly*
1. Tell the class that you will be playing a game called “Still Waters” throughout the day. They will know when the game starts when you say, “1,2,3,3,2,1 Still Waters has begun.”
2. When they hear this they are to freeze and not say a word or move.
3. Time them to see how long they can stay still as a whole class.The goal is for them to break their best record.
4. You will hold your fist in the air and each time you see someone move or talk, you put a finger up and stop when you have all five up. Let the class know how many seconds they lasted for!
5. By this time you will have their attention and can give them instructions or directions for the lesson…
They don’t usually last long before someone moves!