Book Week Dress Up Day will be here before you know it!
This post will hopefully give you a few ideas if you’re looking for inspiration. If you’re a relief teacher you never know…you may be called in to work that day!
Some schools are a little lenient in what constitutes as a book character. However, for the schools that require a book to go along with the costume, I’ve included the books that match the costume. For some, like the animal masks, there are heaps of options! I’ve only listed one per link so you can just get an idea.
A lot of the links show children’s costume ideas. These can be easily adapted to suit an adult.
This year’s Book Week theme is “Reading Across the Universe.” I thought this very simple jet pack was super clever and would suit the theme perfectly!
‘Where the Wild Things Are’ by Maurice Sendak
Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andrea
Superhero: Terror in Tights by Melvin Beederman
Charlotte’s Web by EB White
Old Man from Up!
Up! Little Golden Book version
The Paperbag Princess
The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munsch
The Crayon Box That Talked by Shane Derolf
The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
Thing 1 & Thing 2
The Cat and the Hat by Dr Seuss
The BFG by Roald Dahl
BFG ears – wear with a white shirt, vest & pants.
Mr Men Series –
& finally….the Oompa Loompa costume I wore a few years ago (a pregnant Oompa Loompa!) All three grade 3 teachers dressed up as Oompa Loompas from Roald Dahl’s ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. It’s fun to have a year level theme!
– I bought the green wig from spotlight & used an orangey blush & white eyeliner on my face.
– We rolled the wigs into shape & used a lot of hairspray & pins to keep in place!
– I dyed a cheap white skivvy brown and wore it with white long shorts, tucked into the long striped socks.
– The white gloves were cheap dusting gloves found in the cleaning aisle of the supermarket.
– The straps were made from wide ribbon & brown felt cut into circles.
– I attached the straps to the shorts with safety pins.
– I used double sided tape to attach the green pom poms to my shoes.
Hope this list has helped to inspire you. Good luck & have some fun with it! 🙂