This game is an old favourite. I used to play it when I was at school! It is good as a mental maths or early finishers task. They will be working on area, perimeter, addition and multiplication, all in one game!
Area Dice Game
- A game for 2 or 3 players.
- Each player chooses a colour pencil or texta they will use in the game.
- Players take turns rolling the dice, using the numbers that they rolled to draw the perimeter of a rectangle or square & writing the area in the middle of the shape.
- Game ends when players run out of room to draw.
- Winner is the player who has used the largest area/most squares.
A couple of tips:
Have the students add up their areas as they go so that it is easier for them to work out the winner in the end!
I always take with me a class set of dice, just in case I can’t locate any in the classroom that I’m in. You can usually find cheap dice in discount stores or on eBay.
I also take with me a book of 1cm grid paper. I buy this from a newsagency. Grid paper is handy to have for games like this one, maths, graphing, and creating word searches & crosswords.